<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

No Bull.

Thursday, March 10, 2005
I know, I know, I give Bull Moose a hard time. I usually pick fights with him where we disagree, but in reality we agree on many other issues. I just don't usually right about those. So let me point to two recent posts that I absolutely agree with. First, that the Democrats should make a bigger deal out of the unsustainable Bush deficits, in part by tying them to a broader picture of Republicans as elitist snobs.

Secondly, Democrats should recognize that the Social Security debate is part of broader agenda. The strongest argument I have heard that we should propose alternatives to privatization is that we don't want to be painted as reactionaries. I'm not sure if Social Security in particular is a good example of this problem (since I'm not sure there really is a problem to fix), but the basic argument is a good one. Furthermore, we don't need to obsess about Bush. The focus on him reminds me very much of Democrats who in 1995 wanted to target and destroy Newt Gingrich. By response was "What next? So you get rid of him and they're be someone just as bad if not worse to replace him. You need to break up the political coalition which gives him power, not destroy just one man." And you know what? I was right - after Newt, we got DeLay, and the Republicans are as strong as ever.

So let's all put our thinking caps on in devising new proposals and strategies, and remember that our aim is bigger than ruining any one Texan. As fun as that is.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 10:05 AM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink