<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

The Mysterious Allure of Karaoke

Thursday, March 30, 2006
I hate hearing other people sing. Unless they're professionals backed up by a band, the sound of another person's voice makes me want to claw out my eyes. It's a silly and hypocritical pet peeve, but there it is. It's one of the many reasons why I wouldn't be caught dead watching American Idol.

But I must confess it - I love karaoke. Last night we went to a karaoke bar in celebration of a friend's completed PhD (congratulations Stephanie!). When I showed up I was kind of down in the dumps, but a few minutes into the festivities I was happy as could be.

It's not just that I like to sing karaoke - which I do. It's that I actually enjoy hearing other people sing. It doesn't matter whether they're good at it or not. In fact, the worse a singer is, the more fun it is.

There's some sort of mystical force that takes hold when you're in a bar listening to strangers sing songs (badly). You're transformed from a self-regarding ass into a member of a community. It's a really nice feeling.

I bet conservatives hate karaoke.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 9:14 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink