<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Republican Party Falls Prey To Extremism

Wednesday, August 09, 2006
A story the media would have written if they were as liberal as Republicans think they are:

Republican Congressman Joe Schwarz was defeated decisively last night in his bid for re-election by right-wing primary challenger Tim Walberg. Despite Schwarz's conservative voting record, he alienated right-wing activists with his middle-of-the-road position on a woman's right to choose. His opponent argued that Republicans needed to nominate a "real conservative, not a baby-killer."

The night's election raises even more questions about the Republican party's ability to retain control of Congress. Party insiders say that a litmus test on abortion could doom Republican incumbents in swing districts and further fracture the party, "driving it off into a right-wing ditch."

Democrats meanwhile see this election as a hopeful sign. Congressman Rahm Emmanuel said that "This result just goes to show how out of step with the American people the Republican majority really is. The Republicans are so extreme that even conservatives can't get nominated unless they kow-tow to the most fringe elements of their party."
Posted by Arbitrista @ 6:57 AM
6 Comments:
  • I'll be perfectly happy in the republican majority self destructs.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 7:55 AM  
  • I agree with Jesse. My only worry would be, what would replace them?

    Publius, no comment on the Lieberman loss? I agree that, if he should "go green", the Pigs will gain ground.

    By Blogger Penguin, at 8:29 AM  
  • You guys realize that I made all that up, right? I mean, that Rep. Congressman was beaten in the primary because he was pro-choice, but all the quotes and stuff I invented to make a point.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 12:45 PM  
  • I'm not at all as well read as you are, so, no.
    I still agree with Jesse, but what would replace them.
    I'll keep quiet from now on.

    By Blogger Penguin, at 2:06 PM  
  • Penguin, I don't want anybody to keep quiet! I spoke with Brazen Hussy and she said that my post was a little unclear. I was just surprised was all.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 6:17 AM  
  • Penguin, don't worry, it's not you. Publius is truly terrible at sarcasm. Even in person, I often have trouble telling when he's being serious or not.

    By Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy, at 8:57 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink