<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Unbearably Sad

Wednesday, August 16, 2006
I heard it first on the Colbert Report, of all places. Now I've had it confirmed: the West African Black Rhino is extinct. The most likely cause is poaching for their horns, which are believed to have medicinal properties. It would be easy to lay the blame on the poachers, or the fools who consumed their contraband. But the truth is that we are all responsible. We just didn't care, and now we have another product of what appears to be an endless conveyor belt of genocides .

Maybe we don't deserve to be saved.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 9:14 PM
2 Comments:
  • I feel compelled to point out that this is a subspecies, not a full species. The black rhino is in big trouble, but it's still around. It's sad when a population disappears. But a subspecies is not a meaningful biological unit, it's a population that seems different (from a human point of view - no evidence that the animasls themselves recognize a difference) from other populations of the same species.

    (I'm not really as cold and unfeeling about this as my comment makes me sound, btw.)

    By Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy, at 6:47 AM  
  • I'm glad the Dr. gave us the low-down.

    I do agree that it is horrible that humans have laid waste to land, water and beast on this Earth. I refuse to believe, tho, that the Goddess and God are going to do us in any time soon.

    By Blogger Penguin, at 9:19 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink