<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

The Worst Book of 2006

Thursday, August 10, 2006
So for my birthday Brazen Hussy and I went to the bookstore so that I could blow my birthday money. I was wandering around the stacks, thrilled at the opportunity to spend cash on things that are fun without feeling guilty about it. I was having a great time.

And then...

This book jumps off the shelves. No really, it was like a poltergeist or something. Okay, I'm lying. I was scanning the titles, and this one had huge red letters on a white background so it stood out. The title in question was at the minimum intriguing and the maximum horrifying: The South Was Right!

Now this could be about a lot of things, I suppose. But I had some suspicions, so I picked it up and skimmed through it. And sure enough, Mssrs. Kennedy & Kennedy were justifying Secession. That's right. According to the authors, the Civil War was won by the unjust party - they think that the South had a perfect right to secede, and that the North violated those rights in forcing the South to remain in the Union.

I am just scandalized that someone would write something like this. Now the writers apparently went to great lengths to say that their defense of the South had nothing to do with slavery. But then according to them the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery either. To which I say, Bullcookies. Do they think it's just coincidence that the only historical difference between North and South was the institution of slavery? The whole thing was a like a controlled experiment to see what slavery would do to a people's economic system, political culture, and social structure. If there had been no slavery, there would have been no war, because there would have been no other reason for the South to identify itself as an entity distinct from the rest of the union. Also, the proximate cause of the war was the election of a President who opposed the extension of said institution into the western territories.

Leaving the slavery issue aside, the writers trot out the absurd argument that the Constitution was a compact of states. Under this reasoning, any state would be able to secede, since each retained its sovereignty. Of course the country pre-dated the independent state governments. We became an indepenent nation in 1776, not 1789. In addition, the ratification of the Constitution was done by popularly elected state conventions, not state legislatures, for the precise reason that the Founders didn't want states to get the idea they could dissolve the Union at will.

None of these arguments are new. They're at least as old as the Webster-Hayne debates, and probably older. But I think it's worth remembering the rationale that the Nationalists used against the States-Righter's, if only because a lunatic fringe in the South keeps trotting out the same old canards decade after decade, hoping that the rest of us having forgotten.

Well I for one haven't forgotten. To paraphrase Hubert Humphrey, States don't have rights - people do. The South failed in its bid for independence for a simple reason - it deserved to. The South seceded not out of any desire for self-government, but because they wanted to dominate the Union from within, to impose the institution of slavery in every nook and cranny of America. Their aim was to tear down the Declaration of Independence and erect a tower of privilege on the rubble of our liberty.

Well damn them to hell, I say. I hope that whatever afterlife they suffer is every bit the equal of the suffering they so callously inflicted on their fellow men and women. There is no justification for crushing the freedoms of others, and I am breathless at the audacity that those who would do so justify their oppressions in the name of "liberty."

Hmm. So much for avoiding arrogant proclamations.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 4:10 PM
10 Comments:
  • It’s your blog, if you can’t make arrogant proclamations here, where can you? Of course, that happens to be one with which I agree.:)

    Personally, I would put those authors into the same category as people who are trying to say that the Holocaust never really happened. (Biting down hard on my tongue to prevent starting another argument on historical objectivity…just ignore me.) If only there were not so many ignorant minds into which this kind of garbage could find its way.:(

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 5:14 PM  
  • I think the Holocaust denier comparison is wonderfully apt. Do you mind if I steal it?

    You never have to apologize for embracing the notion of historical objectivity - or any objectivity, for that matter. I think too many people have been afraid to point and say "that happened" or "that is wrong" because we're afraid of being labelled intolerant or narrow-minded. When you defend the defenceless, then you're not being bigoted.

    As for being saddened by so many people being gulled by arguments of this sort, I absolutely agree. There are a lot of demagogues out there playing on people's worst emotions and lack of information. What's even more frustrating is that when you try to correct them, you're labelled elitist and condescending. Ah!

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 6:04 PM  
  • it totally reminds me of this book. I was blind with rage after reading it!!!

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0930073274/002-5302617-7008859?v=glance&n=283155

    There will always be revisionist history and as much as I hate to say this for as terrible as it is, reading it always helps me think outside the box a bit.

    By Blogger Weezy, at 8:46 PM  
  • Anyone who has watched even a couple episodes of "Liberty's Kids" (every sunday morning after George Stephanopolous) knows that is all bunk. :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:25 PM  
  • Steal the comparison with my blessing, and use it as you will.

    I've been getting into trouble all over the internets on the subject of objectivity. I think I'll just quietly agree here. :)

    Re: Weezy's comment - I think it's ok to read, as long as you don't believe. It's probably best to be aware of what kind of crap is floating around out there so that it can be better defended against.

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 10:04 AM  
  • Weezy: If you want to get both sides of the story, that's only a good thing. You should check out an FDR defender like Arthur Schlesinger for the pro-Roosevelt perspective.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 12:27 PM  
  • LOL--thanks Publius--- maybe i should tell you that is my area of specialization :-P

    By Blogger Weezy, at 1:41 PM  
  • D'oh. Well, I can't go through a whole day without being a horse's ass at least once can I? :)

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 3:23 PM  
  • LOL--- No Problem-- unless you are Carnac the Magnificent you wouldn't have known that--- besides.. you should be worrying about spoiling Dr. Hussy rotten tonight!

    By Blogger Weezy, at 6:13 PM  
  • Have we entered a "Season of the Noose" here? Lieberman's self-serving betrayal as well as these goons?

    Off to order some twine...

    By Blogger Zola, at 2:31 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink