<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Ah, the homeland

Tuesday, September 19, 2006
I hear a lot about "defending the homeland." But what happens when you just want to give the homeland a good smack? I happen to have spent a good portion of my life in Georgia, and every couple of months I have to endure some idiotic event emerging from the dark caverns of the Empire State of the South. Today I get two:

(via Firedoglake) Governor Sonny Perdue says that "It is simply unacceptable for people to sneak into this country illegally on Thursday, obtain a government-issued ID on Friday, head for the welfare office on Monday and cast a vote on Tuesday."

It's nice to see that the southern tradition of race-baiting is alive and well. Sigh.

(via Pandagon) Senator Saxby Chambliss states that “We need better intelligence. If we had better intelligence in the Civil War we’d be quoting Jefferson Davis, not Lincoln.”

My God. What a display! There's the historical inaccuracies here, of course - that the South had an excellent spy ring during the Civil War, that Robert E. Lee would NEVER have ordered torture. But these seem almost beside the point, given the simple fact that Chambliss refers to himself as a Confederate sympathizer with the "we" talk. What do you mean "we", fuckhead? Are you getting in bed with traitors now? Do you know what we should with traitors? Because I know what YOU think we should do with traitors, or even those suspected of being so.

I'm sorry, but what is it with the South's right-wing leadership? Why can't they seem to do anything other than connive at the destruction of the country, or at least turning it into some disgusting version of their lost Confederacy?
Posted by Arbitrista @ 7:35 AM
1 Comments:
  • Although I have something intelligent to say - and something that empathizes with your point - I cannot comment it here!

    I can say: I agree!

    By Blogger Penguin, at 8:03 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink