<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

What A Week!

Monday, October 09, 2006
Are things always this exciting, and I have been jaded? Or did the fates decide to make life very interesting while I was in a self-induced information coma? It's hard to believe, but I entirely missed the Mark Foley scandal. It had just started last weekend when I stopped reading the papers. All I'm going to say about this is that, as usual, it's not the crime but the cover-up. It's hard to believe that the Republican leadership has known about a pedophile in their midst for years and done nothing about it. What a bunch of crooks.

I'm going to wait for election day and see how the so-called "values voters" behave. If they still pull the lever for Republicans (which it looks like they might), then I am going to take great joy in pointing out what hypocrites they are. If they stay home, then I'm going to pop a bottle of champagne, because a Democratic majority would be assured. I'll have my fun either way.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 7:49 AM
2 Comments:
  • Part of what annoys me too is that they claim to have the edge on family values over democrats. They act like they are so much more moral and family-focused, and that their brand of morals and familial behaviors are SO much better for kids. My ass.

    Also, as my boyfriend George Stephanopolous pointed out, they are also all over the "personal responsibility" bandwagon - and here Foley blames it all on alcohol and having been molested himself. So much for personal responsibility.

    We would all be so much better off if we all just realized we all have crappy morals for the most part, we all have parts of us that are evil, none of us are wholly altruistic, we all have wants and needs and egos that need feeding... we are all slaves to our drives and we all behave in ways that sometimes just are abhorrent.

    But there's no way we'll all do that. Today I was reading an article in which men who batter were interviewed as to their phenomenological experiences of battering. There are very very few such articles out there - no one really sits down with them and asks them what it is like for them. Why? Because I will tell you, in reading about their experiences, I felt empathy. I mean, I got it - there is not much difference between them and me. I have tempers too - and sometimes I want to punch something or someone. It would be a release/relief. Now, I'm not talking about the psychopaths who terrorize their partners and isolate them and torture them - I'm talking about your garden variety batterer who is likely violent in several contexts, who can't seem to control his anger, lashes out, and then feels badly afterwards (and may be contrite, or may blame her to protect his ego). I get it. And that sucks, frankly, I don't like getting it at all. I don't like that I can empathize with batterers - that I can understand some of what they feel - it is not comfy at all - I don't like seeing myself that way. But, in doing so, I think I can see that there are far better ways for us to try to decrease violence and help these men. I honestly feel that is the only way to have social change.

    Did I get off the topic? I didn't mean to.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:48 PM  
  • Publius,

    You are not, repeat, not allowed to take a break again. The republic might fall...or something.

    By Blogger Zola, at 10:16 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink