<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Why I Am Pro-Choice

Monday, January 22, 2007

Blog for Choice Day - January 22, 2007


It's Blog For Choice Day. I've written many many times about why I am a defender of abortion rights, why I am a feminist, and why I think women are people. Of course, those are all identical statements. But aside from the philosophical irresistibility of the pro-choice position, I have one very simple set of reasons to be a pro-choice liberal:

It could be me.

If I were a woman and got pregnant today, I would get an abortion. It's not because I can't afford one (though I can't). It's not because I'm not married (I am). It's not even that I wouldn't like a kid (I would). It's just that I don't want one right now.

End of discussion.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 9:31 PM
4 Comments:
  • Arbitrista (nee Publius) wrote:

    "If I were a woman and got pregnant today, I would get an abortion. It's not because I can't afford one (though I can't). It's not because I'm not married (I am). It's not even that I wouldn't like a kid (I would). It's just that I don't want one right now."

    Much like the death penalty argument, it amazing how statements from each side are often identical in all but tone. Depending on inflection, this could also be an outraged denunciation from pro-life lips.

    The "convenience" argument for abortion (i.e. "...I don't want one right now") is possibly the worst in the pro-choice toolkit. It should -never- be used to audiences that aren't already on your side.

    By Blogger Zola, at 5:13 PM  
  • First, I was not making the "strong" philosophical or moral arguments in favor of abortion rights (which I have done many, many times). What I was doing was explaining my emotional commitment to abortion rights, and the psychological realization that generated that emotional commitment.

    I wasn't trying to convince anybody. I was mainly talking to people who already agreed with me - it was called "Blog for Choice Day."

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 8:54 AM  
  • Zola's (belated) New Year's Resolutions:

    1) Remember the intarwebs are tone-neutral.

    2) Read the f---ing full link before commenting.

    I was coming at this from some recent conversations I've had with others on several of the hot-button 'moral' issues (abortion, capital punishment, etc.). Your post and a statement made by a friend on capital punishment struck me the same way.

    We don't share the same emotional response to the statement, that's all. Weapons remain on safety :)

    By Blogger Zola, at 12:38 PM  
  • It's all good, dude.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 6:35 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink