<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

More Mainstream Media Absurdities

Monday, February 26, 2007
1) The New York Times not-so-subtly implies that Obama's anti-war stance is a cynical ploy to win votes. No evidence of course, just insinuation. Funny. I don't recall the NYT suggesting that about McCain's position on the war. But maybe I'm just forgetful....

2) Washington Post columnist Fred Hiatt argues that the only problem with traffic is that there aren't enough roads. No I'm not kidding. Apparently he has no problem with a world-as-parking lot as long as his limo can get him to where he's going. Why is it that we expect that people can have individual control of transportation (i.e. the car), urban amenities, a good job, short commute times, a big house, a yard, low taxes, and a pretty world all at the same time? Isn't maturity the recognition that you can't have everything - that there must be tradeoffs? Hiatt seems to be living in the best of all possible worlds - the one in his solipsistic head.

By the way, I agree with everything Lindsay Beyerstein of Majikthise says here.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 6:29 AM
2 Comments:
  • 1) I didn't know Osama was running for President. Oh, wait - O-Bam-a; eh, sorry ;-)

    2) Reminds me of my father saying that school functions would be better without the school kids.

    As for the other article you reference, I went there, but I don't get it. Sorry

    By Blogger Penguin, at 5:59 PM  
  • I just think that bloggers are ineffective as employees of a political campaign. They're an easy target for partisan headhunters and they tend to have to change the way behave, depriving them of the very thing that made them good bloggers - their independence.

    If you have an important blog and there's a candidate you support, I think it does you and the candidate more good to advocate for them as a private citizen than as a campaign employee.

    Just my opinion. Having said that, I still think that what happened to Amanda and Melissa was wrong.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 8:33 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink