<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Getting Screwed at the Drive-Thru

Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Normally I'm one of those freaks who actually likes doing taxes.

As many of you may know, Brazen and I left New York for the Midwest last year. As a consequence, I've had the joy of filling out tax forms for 2 different states. The fun part? I now owe New York a ton of taxes! Not only did Brazen's last job not withhold enough (again), but the way New York calculates their standard deduction really screws people who leave town. So I have to cough up several hundred extra dollars.

I usually don't complain about taxes - I figure they're the price of living in a civil society. But when states decide to stick it to some people just because they can, I get pretty cranky.

Sigh. At least I filed my federal return early enough that my refund should cover what we owe.

Have a happy April 15th!
Posted by Arbitrista @ 4:08 PM
5 Comments:
  • Ugh. That sucks!

    Something similar happened to me when I moved from MI to WI. Technically, I was supposed to get a refund from MI, but after they added in my WI earnings & such, I ended up owing a ton of money to both states.

    By Blogger comebacknikki, at 2:17 PM  
  • That's odd. Unless I'm misinterpreting you, you're saying you got taxed on the same income by 2 different states? I don't think they can do that.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 2:27 PM  
  • They did! I tried filing state returns in both MI & WI w/the jobs separated (I worked half a year in each state). MI refused to accept it & after a long battle with them, I ended up having to pay taxes on my WI earnings to MI. I was told that b/c I my residency in MI overlapped w/my residency in WI, I was obligated to pay MI for monies earned in WI.

    By Blogger comebacknikki, at 8:16 PM  
  • Wow. That sucks. It sounds like you would have had a good case on appeal, but then a decent lawyer would have cost more money than what you were trying not to pay.

    Sometimes our system seems pretty broken. :(

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 9:02 PM  
  • That does suck. New Zealand does that. If you move there part way through the tax year, you have to pay tax on money earned overseas, even if you already paid tax on it in the country of origin.

    By Blogger StyleyGeek, at 9:07 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink