<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

I Have A Problem

Tuesday, August 21, 2007
When I have a good book to read, I can't put it down. I greatly enjoyed "Know-It-All", by A.J. Jacobs. It's a memoir of a man who decided to read the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica. Brazen Hussy thought I would like it, and boy was she right. I stayed up way too late last night to finish it, which means along with the depressing weather I have about as much spare energy as a dessicated turnip.

But of course I have to wonder why Brazen knew I would like it. Because I love useless trivia? Because I tend to obsess about things? Because I used to read the Britannica on CD Rom whenever we visited her parents (In the end her dad finally gave me the thing)?

The book did bring to light one thing lacking in my life - learning. Dissertations are intellectually demanding, of course, but I can't say that I'm really absorbing anything new. My brain feels like it's in a big old rut. I need to think of something else to think about.

Speaking of, is it just me or has the national press corps anointed Hillary already? I seem to recall this happening to several other Democratic candidates, all of whom received very favorable coverage right up until the moment they got the nomination (Gore, Kerry,...). Then the press savaged them. I suppose it's not really the same, since Hillary's already been savaged, but I fully expect her to have to endure a major-league Gore-ing by the press come next summer.

My question is, why is this acceptable? Why is it appropriate to give unadulterated positive coverage to a candidate, usually right before they announce or when they start winning, only to then move to unremittingly hostile coverage? Is the political press really so incompetent and lazy that they can't manage a little balance? Silly question, I suppose.

Okay, you're right. That's me thinking about politics again. See what I mean? I need a new hobby.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 2:16 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink