<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

What Happened to Me?

Saturday, October 06, 2007
Sorry for no posts this week. I was attending a pointless conference for the last three days. It was a 2 hour drive away, which means I was in the car 4 hours a day. I am never driving again.

The other "what happened to me" question I'll mention is how I got to be such a liberal . I started out as a pretty conventional centrist Democrat, and now I have the distinct unpleasure to be fellow travelers with the likes of Matt Stoller. I'm sure part of it is my greater sensitivity to feminism and the environment due to my exposure to Brazen Hussy. Another cause is that I just know more than I used to - some of my old positions were just wrong. But the real reason I'm such a ferocious partisan? John Cole (a former Republican, of all things) puts it best:

That is why the Republican party is in shambles. The majority of us have decided that the movers and shakers in the GOP and the blogospheric right are certified lunatics who, in a decent and sane society, we would have in controlled environments in rocking chairs under shade trees for most of the day, wheeled in at night for tapioca pudding and some karaoke.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 10:26 AM
3 Comments:
  • I was having a discussion with a co-worker about some political things, and a thought crossed my mind about the republicans.

    As I understand it (as was taught to me in civics class anyway) originally, and in theory, republicans should be for less government. Which I see as less government controls and the government mostly leaving people alone etc. However, the right seems currently to have been pushing so far right they are coming round full circle in a way, and seem to be trying to make the government more interfering with our life's, but in a wholly negative fashion, i.e. to control us as opposed to help us.

    This is not quite a fully formed though as of yet, but it is what it is.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 12:44 PM  
  • You're not wrong. The conservative argument against "big government" is only in respect to the regulation of the economy (i.e. corporations and the rich). They've always been quite happy to regulate private behavior.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 9:59 AM  
  • the karaoke sounds a bit dangerous to me. Better to show re-runs of the Waltons and Leave it to Beaver and other improving programming.

    By Blogger Chaser, at 12:05 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink