<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Vacation Over :(

Monday, November 26, 2007
I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving break. Brazen Hussy and I spent a lot of time working, but there was plenty of playtime too - so much so that by Sunday we were out of entertainment. I'm beginning to think we're developing an alarming preference for work. My big accomplishment was writing a dissertation chapter in a single week. I promised that I'd perform a dance of joy around the apartment if I managed to do so, and when I completed the chapter on Saturday I proceeded to do a little jig. Brazen was confused and the dog was very excited.

Today at work I've had a hard time getting anything done. I pecked at the next chapter a bit, but my heart really wasn't in it. I suppose I could use the excuse that I need to look at stuff at home, but I still feel guilty......

By the way, for once I agree with Grover Norquist: a constitutional amendment barring dynasty candidates. I'd even expand it to include a lifetime ban on immediate family members holding the Presidency. It's just too dangerous. I know that Michael D. at Balloon Juice and Andrew Sullivan think that such an amendment is unnecessary, since the voters are free to vote against dynasty candidates. I think this is naive, given that 2 families have passed the white house back and forth for the last 20 years - and may be about to do so again. We don't let the voters elect Presidents to a third term because it's dangerous to a democracy to have one person viewed as indispensable. In much the same way, we can't let folks think a particular group of families is in indispensable either.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 2:55 PM
4 Comments:
  • congrats on finishing that chapter!

    By Blogger RageyOne, at 8:58 PM  
  • Thanks, Ragey. I just wish it was the last one!

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 10:38 PM  
  • wow, so impressed by the chapter! nice work.

    and the dynasties, that is one of my main reasons for being anti-hillary.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:50 AM  
  • I'm not really anti-Hillary, per se. But I will admit that it's a strike against her.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 8:48 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink