<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

A Meme Wherein I Reveal That I Am Bourgeois Slime

Tuesday, January 22, 2008
1. Father went to college
2. Father finished college
3. Mother went to college
4. Mother finished college but she did it through night school years later
5. Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor
6. Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers. I'm not sure what this means.
7. Had more than 50 books in your childhood home.
8. Had more than 500 books in your childhood home. Well, they were mostly my books....
9. Were read children's books by a parent
10. Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18 Only because I lived with my Dad for a few years, who had money.
11. Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18
12. The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed
13. Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18
14. Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs. I wish!
15. Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs
16. Went to a private high school Only for one year.
17. Went to summer camp
18. Had a private tutor before you turned 18
19. Family vacations involved staying at hotels.
20. Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18
21. Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them
22. There was original art in your house when you were a child
23. You and your family lived in a single-family house
24. Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home My mom did rent when I was 15-16.
25. You had your own room as a child
27. Participated in a SAT/ACT prep course
28. Had your own TV in your room in high school
29. Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college
30. Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16 Only to go see my Dad, or when he flew me back to see my Mom.
31. Went on a cruise with your family
32. Went on more than one cruise with your family
33. Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up I have this vague memory of one....
34. You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family Well, I never knew the specific amount, but by Mom was very firm on how high the temperature was supposed to be.

So I basically grew up a white suburban kid, except for a couple of years living with my Dad where I was loaded, and then a couple of years in high school living with my Mom when we were broke.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 10:30 AM
5 Comments:
  • You never told me you took ice-skating lessons... or did you just forget to delete my answer? ;)

    By Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy, at 11:18 AM  
  • Oh man, I hate it when I do that!

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 11:21 AM  
  • You know, it's funny (as in "odd"): being the child of divorced parents produces such a weird class status. When I was growing up, my Dad was loaded (and never paid child support, btw), but my mom and sister and I were broke. So I suppose I am "middle class" but only by way of taking the average...

    By Blogger Margaret, at 12:09 PM  
  • I get the feeling that our is not an uncommon story....

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 3:37 PM  
  • i have a similiar background, including the divorce, which without a doubt complicates class. in fact, it radically changes your class (at least in my case it did) for a large portion of your life, and seems to only revert to its former higher status once you are no longer the direct beneficiary of it (out of the house). thus, i paid for all of my college (well, er, i'm still paying), grad school, and never had any fancy holiday. but flew all the time.

    By Blogger gwoertendyke, at 1:34 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink