<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Beating Somebody with Nobody

Tuesday, April 08, 2008
My political silence over the last few months has been in part due to my hesitation to criticize Democratic candidates (although I am becoming quite exhausted with the process), and because of pesky things like my dissertation. But my dissertation is essentially done, the Democratic race is almost over, and the Republicans have chosen their candidate - so that will likely change. Get ready for 7 months of campaign posts! Good god.

I want to begin by asking a question: Does anybody know the rationale for John McCain's presidential campaign is? I mean, seriously. Why is he running? I can't seem to find out. I can't honestly believe he's really running for Bush's 3rd term, although McCain's foreign and economic proposals (thin as they are) certainly point in that direction. Where is his break with old policies? Where are his policies at all? All satire aside (okay, a little satire), what is the point of a President McCain, other than making McCain president? I've been expecting a highly negative campaign, given the hostile political terrain for Republicans and the unconventional nature of the two Democratic candidates, but in the absence of any positive case for his candidacy, I can't see how McCain runs anything EXCEPT a purely negative campaign - which in and of itself is only half a campaign. Am I missing something?

P.S. Do you remember when I wrote about the psychology of conflict, in which otherwise smart people make dumb, irrational arguments as political battles wear on? Well here's a fantastic example. Pathetic. Support whoever you want, but don't insult our intelligence, or your own.

P.P.S. Dynasty Watch Part Whatever - Congressman Bob Andrews' wife is running for her husband's house seat while he runs for the Senate. Her qualifications? Well, she's the Congressman's wife. And, uh, a lawyer. What else do you need to know?
Posted by Arbitrista @ 6:54 AM
3 Comments:
  • I think McCain is running on safety. Whether that means "you're safe because I'm a war hero" or "because I remind you of a crotchety yet benevolent grandpa/father" or "because I won't change anything too drastically at all." But what the point of that is, I couldn't say...

    By Blogger kermitthefrog, at 9:58 AM  
  • John McCain is running for the exact same reason Obama is running (and the same reason McCain ran in 2000). McCain's policies will likely be an extension of Bush's policies, but he wants to use the presidency to call the American people to national service to defend the U.S. against what he perceives to be the greatest threat of the 21st century. Thus, I see McCain as the Republican version of Obama, except nearly twice as old and half as eloquent. Both candidates use their compelling biographies as rationale for their campaigns, both talk about the national good and sacrifice.

    Hence, I wouldn't mind having McCain as president since he speaks Obama's language. But the policies he advocates are exactly opposite what I want for this country.

    By Blogger Marriah, at 6:05 PM  
  • Surely you're joking.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 9:58 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink