<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

It's Unbelievable

Wednesday, April 02, 2008
It's been a very busy few days. On Saturday we drove. A lot. On Sunday I tried to relax with limited success. On Tuesday we drove some more. Oh, and Monday? Monday I became Dr. Arbitrista.

The defense itself was shockingly easy. It only lasted 45 minutes. None of the (primarily statistical) concerns I had about my dissertation were brought up by the committee. The changes they suggested were primarily stylistic. The professor I wasn't sure about didn't ask me the questions I feared he would. Instead, he essentially shared his own feelings about how hard it was go gather data in this area, and how I should write a research note. The entire time (as short as that time was) I was remarkably relaxed and in control. The person who wrote and worried over the dissertation had little in common with the person who defended it. Frankly I like the latter better, but where did he come from?

So after 10 years of toil and despair, I have passed the last major hurdle, and can now be called "Dr." I can only quote the last line of The Candidate: "What do I do now?"

P.S. Thanks to Brazen Hussy for all the support and patience, and for letting everybody know I'd passed while I was in a state of shock. And thanks to all of you for all the nice comments.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 5:41 PM
16 Comments:
  • Congratulations, Dr. Arbitrista! 'H' sends his congratulations, too! I think you should change your name to include the "Dr."!

    By Blogger Addy N., at 5:58 PM  
  • Congrats!!!

    By Blogger Musey_Me, at 7:39 PM  
  • I agree with Addy N. Dr Arbitrista sounds really great!!!

    I knew you would kick some dissertation ass!!!

    By Blogger Seeking Solace, at 8:28 PM  
  • Congratulations. This is truly an awesome accomplishment, especially how incredibly dedicated about it you were this year. You're an inspiration!!!!

    By Blogger Margaret, at 9:17 PM  
  • RE: your question of what to do next -

    Call an expensive restaurant and make reservations for Dr. Arbitrista. Insist that the host/hostess refer to you (loudly) as Dr. Arbitrista.

    Call your physician's office and say "This is Dr. Arbitrista calling for Dr. Jones." (When I used to do therapy and had to call physician's offices, I always said it was Dr. Jackman-Wheitner calling - because nurses would pull docs out of appts if I was "Dr.")

    Add it to your email sig file.

    And really - truly - just enjoy it!!! You totally earned it :-)

    Congratulations!

    By Blogger Dr. Leah - Consultant for Lawyers, at 10:13 PM  
  • Congratulations, Dr. Arbitrista! Whooohooooo!

    By Blogger luckybuzz, at 12:25 AM  
  • "Dr. Arbitrista"...has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Congrats!

    By Blogger Mad Hatter, at 12:31 AM  
  • so very happy for you! Dr. Arbitrista!

    By Blogger RageyOne, at 12:06 PM  
  • Congrats Dr.---- you're my idol!

    By Blogger Weezy, at 12:56 PM  
  • Congrats, Dr Arbitrista!!! That's wonderful!

    By Blogger Canada, at 3:43 PM  
  • Many congratulations to you Dr Arbitrista! The lack of a diss cloud over your head takes some adjustment; relax and enjoy your new freedom!

    By Blogger Belle, at 5:22 PM  
  • congrats, dr.!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 PM  
  • Many congratulations, Dr. Arbitrista! I am very happy for you! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:12 PM  
  • hey, congratulations!

    By Blogger kermitthefrog, at 7:48 PM  
  • Congratulations. Well deserved!

    By Blogger DrOtter, at 8:56 AM  
  • i'm late here but congratulations....i really is such a huge thing. enjoy it, all of it, dr. arbitrista!

    By Blogger gwoertendyke, at 8:15 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink