<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

The Rest of My LIfe

Monday, November 10, 2008
Is it just me, or was that the longest and most absorbing election ever? My god, I've been in some sort of daze ever since. Now I have the strange sensation of having to think about something else. Predictably, I've made a far-too-ambitious list of tasks for the next several months (no need to wait for New Years!).

1. Write that novel I've been fiddling with for years. I actually managed to sit down and start the first chapter yesterday. It's probably going to be a piece of crap, but at least I'll be able to get on with my life and join the ranks of unpublished novelists.

2. Focus on my job. Oh, I've been going and everything. But can I really say that I've been giving it my full attention? Nope. That would be a lie.

3. Media consulting for the local city council. I've been in informal discussions with members of the council for a few months, but with the election over I can make a real agreement. They definitely need the help, and it's not like I can go cold turkey off of politics entirely.

4. Write some academic papers. I have this ridiculous backlog of papers I just have to get started on.

5. Be a more interesting conversationalists with Brazen Hussy. What the heck are we going to talk about now?!

I'm seriously considering just turning off national politics for the rest of the year. No one -and I mean no one- thinks I can do it. But really, what more is going to happen? Except Al Franken's recount, and that Jim Martin special election, and the creation of the cabinet, and...

dammit.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 1:40 PM
3 Comments:
  • I'm seeing this everywhere...besides experiencing it myself, of course. When we're following races all the way across the country and scrutinizing the minutia of every piece of the transition process, it's obvious that the election was actually just the beginning. I think many of us breathed a sigh of relief at the end of the primaries and we assumed the election would be the end of it. But, really, we knew who won when Ohio was called and still stayed up to see which other states went which way. That was the first clue. And, now, Rahm Emanuel has become a household name overnight. Who knew?

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 3:16 PM  
  • I'm wondering if the intense politicization of the last 3-4 years might actually last awhile. It might even be a good thing.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 3:17 PM  
  • Dude, I am so with you. The other night I had a dream that I was telling someone how stupid the issue of "earmarks" was for McCain to focus on. I was quite adamant about this in my dream.

    When I woke up and told my husband about this, he replied: "I worry about you."

    And the creation of the Cabinet alone is going to keep me interested.

    By Blogger Margaret, at 6:22 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink