<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

25 Influential Writers

Monday, March 09, 2009
Thanks BH! This is an interesting one. 25 writers who have influenced me the most:

1. Alexandre Dumas (pere)
2. David Michelinie & Bob Layton (they're a team)
3. Denny O'Neil
4. Stephen King
5. William Shakespeare
6. Niccolo Machiavelli
7. Aristotle
8. John Rawls
9. C.J. Cherryh
10. George R.R. Martin
11. John H. Elliott
12. David Chandler
13. J.F.C. Fuller
14. Guy Gavriel Kay
15. Robin Hobb
16. Anonymous
17. Homer
18. Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman (another team)
19. Raymond E. Feist
20. Alan Moore
21. Anne Rice
22. Joseph Conrad
23. Frank Miller
24. Yann Martel
25. Audrey Niffeneggar
Posted by Arbitrista @ 10:36 PM
2 Comments:
  • Hmmmm. I'm going to have to check out some of these. I couldn't get enough Dumas between 8th and 11th grade. Revenge and escape fantasies and all. . . :) I also liked his travel memoirs.

    What in his writing most interests you?

    By Blogger Leslie M-B, at 12:33 PM  
  • Trillwing: The Count of Monte Cristo was the first real novel I ever read. What's neat about it for me is that my interpretation of it changed as I grew older. When I was young I thought about how neat his long-planned revenge scheme was. When I was older I realized that the whole point is that revenge is stupid and one should just let the past go.

    Geeka: Actually there's a specific anonymous I was thinking of - the author of The Bride Stripped Bare - which I thought was a heartrending book. It made me think about all sorts of subjects I'd never really considered before. I know that the identity of "Anonymous" was revealed to be Nikki Gemmell, but I thought it was appropriate to use the name she originally gave at least in part as an homage to all the great writers who've worked under pseudonyms.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 3:42 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink