1. Watching the Republicans flip out is always good for a laugh. This is their lowest point since the last election.
2. Specter really is an opportunistic little worm, isn't he?
3. The Republicans are going to be even more desperate to block Al Franken
4. 60 seats. Well, assuming Franken ever gets seated and Specter's voting doesn't change.
5. Hmm. Now the Democrats won't have any excuses about obstructionist Republicans. Is this a good or a bad thing?
6. Specter should still get a primary. No one gets to own a Senate seat, particularly not Arlen Specter, the Pennsylvania Jellyfish.
7. Hey, maybe the neoclassical economists ARE on to something.
To hone in on the question of Specter's prospective voting record, I think it quite possible that he'll become more liberal than many suspect. You see, he isn't going to have to placate the wingnuts anymore, but he will have to give the liberals something to make them happy. I suspect he's going to make some early votes to re-establish his independence and then scamper over to the middle of the Democratic caucus where his re-election constituency is. If he knows what's good for him, that is. Which is another reason he should get a primary.
He's a no talent ass clown.By Seeking Solace, at 10:23 AM
My question to you is when did he become a moderate??? I used to live in PA, where the Dems considered him a right wing nut case. Only when Santorum came in did Specter start seeming sane. And wasn't Specter a real ass-hat during the Anita Hill hearings?By Belle, at 11:34 AM
S.S.: Well, he is good at one thing - staying in office. That's about it, unfortunately.By Arbitrista, at 11:54 AM
Belle: Specter has always been all over the map, ideologically. He's usually ranked at the liberalish end of the Republicans in the Senate - prochoice, pro gay rights, friendly with labor unions. He did stuff like go after Anita Hill to give him more credit with the conservative wing of the party for all those middle of the road votes he took. I suspect he'll do the same with the Dems.
And yes, he was a serious asshat with Anita Hill. If he decided to start his own party, "The Asshats" might be the most accurate moniker.