<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Why I Love Traveling

Tuesday, June 09, 2009
Brazen Hussy and I went to go see her family last weekend in Baltimore. The city is lovely. It's got a lot of that old East coast city charm like Boston and Philadelphia, but it's also a pretty manageable size and has retained some of its working class flavor. I liked it a lot.

I came down with a sinus infection during the trip, so I spent most of it wallowing in agony, holding my head in my hands and trying not to cry. This activity was not the most enjoyable part, oh no. That's reserved to our "Duck Tour." Apparently many cities have these sorts of things. It's a retrofitted WWII amphibious craft that takes people around the city, showing them the sights while playing VERY LOUD music and - wait for it- everyone is given little whistles that are supposed to honk like a duck. I'll set aside the inherent absurdity of the activity. It is what it is. It would be pointless (although fun) to point out that the Duck Tour can't be claimed to be one of those silly things people do for their kids, since almost everyone on the bus was an adult. No, what made me miserable was the very loud noises involved, which dovetailed beautifully with my already excruciatingly painful headache.

To cap matters off, I had to listen to my two nephews blow on the damned things the rest of the day. Yippee.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 10:12 AM
5 Comments:
  • That would drive me up a wall without a sinus infection!!!

    Have you heard that lastest NY state government fiasco?

    By Blogger Seeking Solace, at 10:43 AM  
  • Yes. I don't know the principals personally, but from my time in NY politics I can say that they don't have the best reputation. To put it mildly. But then Paterson and Smith haven't handled this situation with a great deal of skill. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 10:47 AM  
  • I agree!!! It will be very interesting.

    By Blogger Seeking Solace, at 12:03 PM  
  • Two Questions: Did you eat any crabs???

    AND

    I always thought these duck tours drove around the city and went tooling around in what ever water is attached to the city. Is this the case? Or am I just taking the idea of an amphibious looking bus called a duck BOAT to literally?!?

    (I could probably google the second question, buts it more fun to ask real people)

    By Blogger Jesse, at 10:17 PM  
  • Yes, we ate crabs, and yes, the duck boat went in the water too. That part was kind of cool.

    By Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy, at 11:17 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink