<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Writing Women In Love

Wednesday, July 22, 2009
So I've kept my word and haven't paid much attention to politics over the last week or so, and as a consequence I'm a lot less stressed out - about politics, anyway. Work has been another matter, with a huge project I've been trying to complete while waiting for my supervisors to give me the input I need to finish it. But I don't feel like whining about work either, and consequently I haven't had a great deal to write about. Who knew I was so one-dimensional (no comments from you, BH!)?

The principal item consuming space in my brain these days is my book. The writing hasn't gone quickly, by any means, but I have managed to maintain a steady pace of about 500 words per day. I try not to do the math on how long it will take me to finish at this rate - if I did I might despair. Every chapter has interesting new challenges for me. In the current one I'm writing about the beginning of a romance from a female perspective, about which I am quite nervous. I'm not concerned about sex scenes because there aren't going to be any. I'm more worried about a woman's take on attraction and wooing. It's been a long time since I was single, and I don't know how useful my experiences are going to be anyway, given the gender differences. To make matters more difficult the couple in question are young - around 20 years old. I suspect that the volatile alternations of reckless daring and crippling insecurity I had at that age are pretty much universal, but who knows? When the chapter's done I'll give it to Brazen Hussy to read and see if it sounds plausible, but in the meantime I find myself sitting around trying to remember what all my female friends told me about their love lives over the years.

This is what I get for trying to stretch my creative abilities, I suppose. I was always proud that I was never silly enough to take a very hard class in college to "test myself," and now here I am.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 10:48 AM
4 Comments:
  • For perspective on contemporary 20s, spend a little time on textsfromlastnight.com. It doesn't mesh overmuch with my twenties, and I was certainly no goody-goody, but I find it endlessly amusing.

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 1:01 PM  
  • You could collect info from all your female readers; surely our experiences can provide endless hours of horror.

    By Blogger Belle, at 3:02 PM  
  • Gosh, I'm not trying to write a horror novel! :)

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 4:05 PM  
  • >>This is what I get for trying to stretch my creative abilities, I suppose. I was always proud that I was never silly enough to take a very hard class in college to "test myself," and now here I am.

    Maybe you should come up here & share that thought with my students! :)

    By Blogger comebacknikki, at 11:12 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink