<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Tired of the Traitor's Flag

Tuesday, September 15, 2009
I'm not one to throw the word "traitor" around casually - it's something wingnuts like to do - but sometimes one can't help it. Every time I see someone flying a confederate battle flag I am put into a terribly foul mood. And to see a bunch of white Republicans, whose base of political support is in the South, launch protests against an African-American President flying that flag I am scandalized. That flag was flown by those who killed and died to defend the enslavement of other human beings, and anyone who claims that they do so because it is "their heritage" is claiming the worst part of their history. And one must be insensitive to the point of being a sociopath to not realize what effect that flag has on African-Americans. No, as far as I'm concerned, there are no excuses. Anyone who flies that flag is declaring himself outside the bounds of American society - because, you know, that flag was the symbol of those who didn't want to be Americans. That flag is evil, and flying it is indistinguishable from flying a NAZI flag. How dare they call themselves patriots. How dare they.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 1:51 PM
4 Comments:
  • Me too! Now that I live in the South, it grinds my gears how many of those flags I see. What's worse is that some think that the Civil War isn't over yet.

    By Blogger Seeking Solace, at 3:09 PM  
  • Well, apparently it isn't. The others side certainly doesn't think so. The South has never really accepted this, and sometimes I wonder if it ever will. They went from trying to dominate the Union from within before 1860, to leaving the Union when they couldn't, to becoming a marginalized part of the country, to trying to dominate it from within again. It's ridiculous.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 3:14 PM  
  • I hear you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 PM  
  • Interesting you mention the NAZI flag. When we lived in Berlin there was a train stop right outside of town where I would always be mesmerized upon seeing a tiny little shack by the train station. Flying NAZI flags is illegal in Germany, but this house had 4 confederate flags on each corner of the house and one big German one in the middle. I really doubt they were big Dukes of Hazard fans...

    BTW, as a Mexican, I can tell you that I'd always thought it was a pretty flag (if you don't know any history), but after living and having married into a Southern family, I have come to pretty much the same conclusion as you have, and unfortunately for them, if I see a person flying the flag, I automatically think they're just ignorant racist rednecks... I don't think "oh, they must be celebrating their heritage"

    I still cannot get over the fact that the flag is still in the Capitol building grounds in SC! (But hey, at least it is not flying over the Capitol, right?)

    By Blogger Super Babe, at 7:49 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink