<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

America's Coming Ride on the Teabag Express

Saturday, September 18, 2010
My life has slowed down sufficiently that I can start to re-engage with the world around me. BH and I recently moved to a new state, so I have to get all re-registered to vote so I can go to war with those lunatics in the Republican Party this fall. I confess, I've seen some crazy stuff over the years, but the Teabagger takeover of the Republican Party might be the most alarming. It's easy to be cynical about it. A lot of Democrats are saying "those candidates are so wacky that there's no way they'll win." I wish that were true. They'll underperform compared with a more moderate candidate, but the fundamental dynamics of the election are so hostile to Democrats that quite a few of them get into office. From a political science point of view, this election is a major test whether the retrospective or median voter models of vote choice are accurate. Since I generally adhere to the former - the latter assumes that enough voters know a lot about issues and candidates - I think that we're have a substantial Teabag Caucus in Congress next year. What's also interesting is that in the past ideology hasn't played that much of a role in primaries, and establishment figures have generally been able to win because of their superior institutional support. What we're seeing now is a right-wing uprising in the Republican Party. The leadership has completely lost control. Well, the part of the leadership we're used to seeing anyway - I suspect that part of this is one faction of the Republican elite supporting and exploiting the teabaggers to win power within the party. God help us all. Even if the Democrats were to benefit from the nomination of all these loonies, we'd still have a major political party in thrall to a neo-fascist political movement.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 9:01 AM
2 Comments:
  • Glad you're back! As depressing as your analysis is, it makes me feel better in that someone else is as depressed by current currents as I am.

    By Blogger Belle, at 12:25 PM  
  • This actually doesn't worry me overmuch. It looks to me like the logical culmination of the pendulum effect that regularly takes place in American politics. When it reaches the end of an arc, it starts back in the other direction. The accepted right wing progression during the Bush years seemed much more sustainable, so I'm glad to see what looks like the end...because this sort of lunacy will not be tolerated for long.

    What really pisses me off is that we are not in a position to take advantage of this weakness in the Republican party because Dems are so demoralized right now. And I place the majority of the blame for that firmly on the shoulders of our gutless leader.

    On the bright side, we will get to keep at least a few seats that we would almost certainly have lost otherwise, including in my current home state of Nevada. Even though he is a close second in being responsible for the mess our party is in, we couldn't afford to lose Harry Reid's seat.

    Yeah, I consider the Tea Bag surge a gift, one that will mitigate some of the damage that the Dems have done by shooting the party in the foot...again.

    On another note, wow! Can't believe y'all have moved already. Good luck in your new location.

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 3:10 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink