<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

Never Again!

Friday, October 21, 2011
My background in statistics isn't as strong as it should be. As a consequence I tend to be very insecure when working on quantitative projects, doing a lot of research and trying to figure out what assumptions I might be violating and how to fix them. When I really feel out of my depth I've taken to going to university-sponsored statistical consulting centers, hoping they'd be able to a) understand my problem, and b) propose a workable solution.

Unfortunately, not once has one of these centers been very helpful. I walk away each time persuaded that these grad students know less about statistics than I do. Today was the worst example. I'm trying to compare logistic regression coefficients across groups and know for a fact that you can't use t-tests for reasons I won't go into. When I met with said grad student he told me to use....t-tests.

So this is the last time I'm going to a stats consulting center. However spotty my statistics training is, at least I know when I don't know something.
Posted by Arbitrista @ 10:11 AM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink