<$BlogRSDUrl$>                                                                                                                                                                   
The Third Estate
What Is The Third Estate?
 Everything
What Has It Been Until Now In The Political Order?
Nothing
What Does It Want To Be?
Something

A New Pseudonym

Tuesday, December 19, 2006
As I stated earlier, I have been interested in changing my pseudonym. "Publius" is far too common a moniker on the internets, and the original motivation behind adopting it is no longer valid. So after much reflection I have decided to change it to "arbitrista." The arbitristas were a group of reformers concerned with the decline of the Spanish economy during the 17th century. I learned about them reading John H. Elliott's Imperial Spain , a book that had a profound effect on my intellectual development. I remember thinking "what would it be like to realize that your country was in decline, and have so little power to do anything about it." It wasn't until later that I realized how ironic that thought was.

I hesitated about adopting this particular pseudonym, in part because the arbitristas were not very concerned with democracy or egalitarianism (it just wasn't an issue in the 17th century). But I think in conjunction with the name of my blog, inspired by the French Revolution, I have managed to blend my concern with social justice with my interest in public policy.

Plus, arbitrista doesn't sound like something to do with gonads. Does it?
Posted by Arbitrista @ 6:45 AM
8 Comments:
  • I am trying to find some way to pronounce your new name with something involving nether regions or smelly bodily functions.

    SO far I have come up cold, but I wont stop until I succeed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 AM  
  • I have faith in you!

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 8:07 AM  
  • I like it! How about arbitrista smell-a-wrist-a? Nah. I think you are safe from Jesse.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:02 PM  
  • If you don't blog more often, then I'm gonna shove a keyboard up your arbitrista!

    (Just trying it out...)

    By Blogger sheepish, at 5:32 PM  
  • You'll always be pube to me. :)

    By Blogger comebacknikki, at 7:24 PM  
  • Oh, now I feel bad so I am commenting to prove that I do read your blog! I just hadn't checked in for a few days. Weeks. *ahem* But I'm back now and avidly reading.

    So hurry up and write something new :)

    By Blogger StyleyGeek, at 11:18 PM  
  • I have to admit, I liked Publius. And "Arbitrista" (because I am ignorant of history probably) sounds like a lawyer who will serve me coffee.

    By Blogger Margaret, at 8:07 AM  
  • Ouch!

    No, I understand. I really hesitated. It was fine to keep it with you guys, but when I posted on the political blogs no one knew which Publius it was. It got VERY annoying.

    And remember, a rose by any other name......would be just as goofy.

    By Blogger Arbitrista, at 12:37 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

:: permalink